Saturday, August 1, 2009

Kindred Spirits: Q Gin




Ok, this is one I've been meaning to try for a while now. One of the more widely distributed newcomers to the top-shelf Gin market, it was always on the "To Get Someday" list, but never in the bag when I walked out of the store. Probably because I am not exactly rolling in money to drop on spirits and the $38 price tag scared me off a bit.

Turns out White Rock Distilleries felt my pain, or at least the Super Liquor IV did, and knocked $18 of the price this past week. Ok, at $20, I had to strike.

First impressions: Ohh, shiney bottle. ( Seriously, people. Marketing helps. I avoided Bols Liqueors for the longest time because it looks like off-brand salad dressing from the 70s with those bottles and labels.)

Straight Up/On The Rocks: Crystal clear. Nose of light juniper and pepper. Not a strong smell at all. Smooth taste, first note is citrus, like orange peel. This goes quickly to a short, peppery finish. Not too complicated of a gin. The juniper is really understated. You could easily convince someone this is herbal vodka (well, all gin technically is, but I think you get my meaning). Very nice straight up.

Martini: Ok, this is where Q really seems to shine. I made my standard martini (2 1/2 oz. gin, 1/4 oz. dry vermouth, three olives, shaken not stirred) Again, the smoothness really stands out. It's got a mouthfeel that I can only describe as "supple". The brine of the olives is the first initial taste, kinda washing out the citrus, but as it lingers, the pepper of the gin starts the second half. Finally, the juniper comes in at the end to finish the flavor profile out. Strangely, I got more "juniper" out of the martini (w/ vermouth and olives) than I did drinking it straight. Again, this is an excellent gin for "people who don't like gin", but in a good way. You could use this as an excellent introduction to gin martinis for people who have been seduced by vodka.

Gin and Tonic: This gin would be wasted on gin and tonics. In my normal recipe, all I got was the tonic water. Go with something stronger, like Tanquerey or Gordon's.

Overall: A quality, lighter gin. Probably not worth the original price, but perfectly reasonable at what I paid for it. Good on the rocks and makes an excellent martini, would quaff again.

Final Score: 3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment